Roman Catholicism was brought to Yunnan during the period of the late Ming and the early Qing dynasties.. In the 35th year of the Kangxi Period of the Qing Dynasty (AD1696), Catholic parishes were set up in Yunnan and in the 23rd year of the Daoguang Period (1843), the Episcopal church was established in Yanjin County, and was moved to Kunming in 1881.. In 1948, the Kunming parish was promoted as “the Yunnan General Episcopal Church Parish”..
Dali Catholic Church comes in the unusual form of a Chinese-style building.. An initial gate leads to a second gate, which is actually the facade of the church.. The eclecticism continues inside with red pillars, a blue ceiling painted with stars, Chinese-style chairs, and a simple altar with a picture of Christ.. The Chinese characters on the back wall say……”Catholic is Love”..
Today Catholicism is popular mainly in Kunming, Zhaotong, Honghe, Wenshan, Dali, Lijiang, Qujing, Diqing and Dehong prefectures and municipalities.. The Christians are from the Han, Yi, Miao, Lisu, and the Jingpo nationalities.. By May 1996, there were 43 service members and 36 churches open to service..
In Dali Catholic Church the mass is held every morning at 9am and about 60 believers attend the service every Sunday..