The Jukhtak monastery derives its name from the word ‘jukht’ which means ‘twin’. The complex consists of two churches, khachkars and a cemetery. The exact date of the foundation of the Jukhtak monastery is unknown. The inscriptions preserved on the walls of the church of Saint Gregory the Illuminator, the larger of its two churches, suggest that it was built much earlier than its ‘twin’, probably in 11th or 12th century. The smaller church of Saint Astvatsatsin (Mother Mary) was built in 1201 AD by the abbot Hayrapet of St. Petros Monastery.