Tired and exhausted from the previous day’s hitchhiking trip from Tabriz to the city of Rasht, we sleep until noon. And after the late breakfast, as our friend returns home, we leave Rasht to visit Bandar-e Anzali, a harbour town on the shores of the Caspian Sea in the Gilan province of Iran. Translated from Persian, “bandar” means a port. Known as Bandar-e Pahlavi before the Islamic Revolution, the city was founded in the early 19th century. The Anzali lagoon divides the city into two parts. In May 1920, the Russians occupied Bandar-e Aznali and declared a Soviet Republic of Gilan (officially known as the Persian Socialist Soviet Republic), which existed only until September 1921.